We recently celebrated the first birthday of our four-legged family member, Fluffball McNuggets. Some may think that we have taken this a bit too far, but we thought it only fair to acknowledge that this puppy has become a part of our family.
I had been scared of dogs for almost my entire life but D on the other hand loves dogs. Over the years he tried to convince me that dogs are loving and warm by nature and can be trained to be your companion. I finally gave in and decided to get a small and cute dog. This dog has changed our lives since she came into our home. Her naughty cuteness has brought a lot of joy to the household, as well as the exercise of tough love discipline. Forgiveness and unconditional love are also some good traits we humans can learn from a dog.
We had a few friends and dogs over for the pawty (party). As no birthday pawty is complete without a cake, I made a dog friendly carrot cake for the four-legged friends. The dogs enjoyed it and devoured the cake in no time!
The recipe is below for those who are interested.
Doggy Birthday Cake – Carrot Cake with Mashed Potato Icing
2 grated carrots
2 cups of self-raising flour
½ cup of vegetable oil
1 teaspoon of water
- Beat eggs and oil until combined.
- Add grated carrots and stir the mixture.
- Add self-raising flour and water to the mixture and stir it until well combined.
- The mixture is quite thick and sticky, so spread it evenly on a 7’ or 8’ cake pan.
- Bake at 170ºC for 40 minutes.
Mashed potato icing:
- Peel 3 potatoes and cut it into small cubes.
- Boil the potatoes for 20 minutes until soft.
- Drain the water.
- Mashed the potato until smooth.
Make sure both the cake and mashed potato is cool before icing. Keep it refrigerated until devouring time. 🙂