I have been experimenting with cupcakes recipes and decorations after being approached by a friend with the possibility of making their wedding cupcake tower. Still not quite sure about the decorating part but it has been a yummy trial so far. 🙂
Although a lemon cake may not be suitable for a wedding, Dan & I love the citrusy taste of this.
125 grams of softened butter
Rind of 1 lemon
Juice of ½ lemon
220 grams castor sugar
150 grams of self-raising flour
75 grams of plain flour
125 ml of milk
1 ½ cup of icing sugar
Juice of ½ lemon (remainder) – this can be replaced with milk if you want a less citrusy taste
1. Beat butter, lemon rind and sugar until light and fluffy
2. Add in 1 egg at a time and continue beating
3. Add milk and lemon to the mixture
4. Stir in sifted flour in batches and continue beating the mixture
5. Preheat the oven to 160°C
6. Scoop the mixture to the cupcake tray
7. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until cupcake is cooked
8. Transfer cupcakes to a cake rack to cool
9. To make the glaze icing, mix all the ingredients into a small bowl until smooth. Spread immediately on cooled cupcakes.
This recipe makes about 12 large cupcakes. I have also made sugar flowers / apples to top off.