This was inspired by yesterday’s Masterclass (MasterChef Australia). After watching Michael Klausen show the contestants how to bake Schiacciata Con L’uva, I decided to try it myself. I replaced grapes with strawberries and called this Schiacciata Con Fragole, meaning ‘with pressed strawberries’.
I cheated a bit by using an electric mixer with dough hook attachment instead of mixing it traditionally by hand 😉
420 gram plain unbleached flour
10g instant dried yeast
10g extra virgin olive oil
1. Pour all ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix it with an electric mixer with dough hook attachment until well mixed.
2. Cover the dough with glad wrap and let it rest for 5 minutes.
3. Transfer the dough to the table and knead it for a minute.
4. Then, oil a clean bowl and transfer the dough to this new bowl. Cover this with glad wrap and let it proof for 1 hour.
5. Take the dough out of the bowl and fold it 4 ways into a square. Round the dough and put it back in the bowl. Cover it with glad wrap again and let it proof for another 30 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 210°C.
7. Divide the dough into 2 portions.
8. Stretch the dough into an oval or round shape on a greaseproof paper.
9. Gently press strawberries on the dough.
10. Drizzle a bit of olive oil on the dough.
11. Sprinkle some granulated sugar on top.
11. Bake it for 15 minutes.
The Masterclass video from MasterChef Australia is available from the link below (this may not be viewable on other regions outside Australia):